Studies show that introducing multiple languages to children is both beneficial and appropriate. Dr. Susan Curtiss, a Linguistics professor at UCLA states that, “The power to learn a language is so great in the young child that it doesn’t seem to matter how many languages you seem to throw their way…they can learn as many spoken language as you can allow them to hear systematically and regularly at the same time.” Our Spanish instructor, Senora Salud, is a native speaker and has been with Brighton Schools for two years now. She provides second language instruction using the Sombrero Time curriculum which is both interactive and engaging.
Sombrero Time has been developed and tested over the last 5 years with the help of bilingual educators and language experts. Our products are tailored for the immersion environment to address all areas of language development- reading, writing, listening and speaking in Spanish. We then test the efficacy of our curriculum by putting it to use in programs all over the Sacramento region and at our Private Education Facility in Granite Bay, CA. Our partnerships with Charter, IB and Private schools has enabled us to remain sensitive to the needs and demands on today’s teachers and administrators. This refining process ensures what and how your students learn is effective and relevant to their future.
Each Spanish level contains 8 units of theme based content that is fully scripted with lesson plans that are aligned with the California World Language Standards. The curriculum follows our delivery methodology of frequent and consistent exposure-4 days per week throughout the entire school year. Full color flash cards and graphic support materials are included.
- Each Spanish level has 8 units of content which covers lesson plans from September – May
- Each of the 8 Units has 3 weeks of new content followed by a 4th week of review and assessment
- The only exception is Unit 3 which is 7 weeks to accommodate the school holiday schedule
- There are a total of 140 fully scripted lesson plans per level
Product Features & Benefits
Immersive – supports instruction of ”Spanish in Spanish”
- Benefit – Provides the progression of curriculum and content so that teachers can stay in Spanish as they teach Spanish. The immersion process builds lasting benefits your students can mobilize, developing functional language in Spanish.
Systematic - ensures organized and effective delivery of curriculum
- Benefit - The system employs the use of monthly unit overviews, weekly objectives and daily lesson plans. Each level of curriculum is divided into 8 units with over 140 daily lesson plans, covering a whole year of Spanish instruction.
Structured – ensures predictable and reliable content progression
- Benefit - Sombrero Time curriculum follow a predictable and balanced daily lesson structure so that the teacher will develop skills in all four areas of language: reading, writing, speaking and listening comprehension.
Scripted - simplifies planning with clearly outlined activities
- Benefit - Scripted daily lesson plans eliminates the difficult job of planning which allowing teachers to focus on content delivery. Teachers remain nimble and can adjust for the individual needs of their students.
Thematic- promotes common, functional language
- Benefit - Vocabulary is presented in themes to insure that common, everyday language is covered and topics are highly interesting for students.
Comprehensive-develops all four areas of language
- Benefit - To develop bilingual and biliterate students, reading, writing, speaking and listening comprehension skills all need to be included in the daily lesson plans. These activities are aligned to California World Language Standards.
Integrated Assessment- provides benchmarks and student goals
- Benefit - Allows teachers to track student progress, individualize classroom instruction and provide feedback to parents and administration, using student learning objectives and unit benchmarks.